Dentures are a prosthetic replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are the most commonly used oral restorative treatment owing to the simple and effective nature of the procedure. Dentures can be manufactured either in their entirety or as partial dentures. Partial dentures are used when a few teeth are missing, whereas complete dentures are used when all the natural teeth have to be extracted.
What are the advantages of getting dentures?
- Dentures help in restoring the appearance of the mouth. They can be customized to look exactly like natural teeth.
- They restore oral functionality and allow you to bite and chew food like normal again. Also, they restore phonetics, thereby helping you pronounce words correctly.
- Dentures can be extracted from dental-grade acrylic and tooth-like prosthetics, making them highly customizable. The prosthetics can be made to mimic the exact contour, texture, and color of the natural teeth.
- They are long-lasting and can last for years together in excellent condition if maintained properly.
- Dentures can be used to replace both the upper or lower set of teeth or both sets, as required by the patient.
- They are removable prosthetics that are taken off when you have to brush your teeth or go to sleep.
What is the procedure involved in getting dentures?
Your dentist will conduct a thorough screening of your oral condition and check for any underlying dental issues before prescribing dentures. The dentist will clean your teeth thoroughly and remove tartar deposits from them before fabricating the prosthetics, which will serve as a base for making the denture restorations. A digital impression of your mouth will be taken to get a reference for fabricating the dentures. It will be sent to a dental laboratory where dentures will be made from dental-grade acrylic material with ceramic teeth attached to them.
The prosthetic restorations will be fabricated in a few days’ time, after which they will be prepared for you personally by matching its color, texture, shape, surface contour, and other features with your natural teeth. Once you get them placed in your mouth, our dentist will advise you on how to care for them properly so that they last for several years without any hassle.
How do I care for my dentures?
Just as with any other oral appliance, proper care should always be taken while using dentures as well. They should ideally be removed when you go to sleep every night so that they do not get damaged due to saliva accumulation and so that you get adequate rest along with uninterrupted sleep. You may use toothpaste and water to clean them thoroughly after taking them off every day. If you wear partial dentures, make sure you brush your teeth thoroughly before putting them on, as bacteria may cause decay if left untreated for too long.
If you are interested in learning more about our services, call Smyrna Dental Group in Smyrna, TN, at (615) 355-6800 to schedule an appointment with our dentists or request an appointment online.