Dental hygiene means keeping teeth, gums, and overall mouth clean and in healthy condition by following good oral hygiene practices and dental cleanings. The American Dental Association recommends that you take special care of your teeth by brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once a day for good dental health.
Regular brushing and flossing will help prevent the majority of dental diseases and tooth decay. However, at-home oral care practices are not enough. So, it is recommended to visit a dental practice for professional dental hygiene care at least twice a year.
Dental Hygiene Treatments at Smyrna Dental Group
At Smyrna Dental Group, we offer the following treatments as part of maintaining good oral health and hygiene:
- Professional Teeth Cleaning
The most basic dental hygiene procedure at our dental office is a thorough tooth cleaning by our dentist. We will perform this procedure to keep your mouth clean and healthy.
The procedure includes removing the plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth and between your teeth using an ultrasonic scaling unit. This process provides maximum cleaning in a minimum time. It also reduces the chances of developing gum diseases in the future.
- Dental Sealant
Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings applied on vulnerable areas of your teeth, such as the chewing surfaces or the grooves or pits on the molars, to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
This procedure can be performed during regular dental checkups at our office. If you have not yet applied sealants to your teeth, we will help you get them through this simple, quick procedure.
- Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Our dentist might recommend using toothpaste for sensitive teeth if you experience discomfort when brushing or flossing your teeth. This special toothpaste contains fluoride and can reduce tooth sensitivity problems.
- Fluoride Varnish
Our dentist may recommend fluoride application to your teeth to prevent cavities and decay. Fluoride varnish is a gel-like material containing fluoride that is painted on all surfaces of your teeth during dental hygiene procedures in our office. Once applied, it hardens to help protect your teeth from cavities, decay, and plaque buildup.
The term dental hygiene is not limited to what we do in the dental office. It also encompasses what you do at home to care for your teeth and gums.
How To Care For Your Teeth At Home?
After professional dental cleaning at our office, we will recommend some oral care habits that you should follow at home:
- Use an ADA-approved soft-bristled toothbrush twice daily to brush your teeth properly with fluoride toothpaste to remove bacteria from your mouth effectively.
- Floss daily with dental floss or interdental brushes to remove bacteria that accumulate between your teeth before they cause bad breath or gum diseases.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Hygiene?
Improving your dental hygiene can help you enjoy many benefits:
- Brushing and flossing before going to bed can help remove plaque from your teeth and prevent tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Dental hygiene is essential for maintaining good overall health.
- Regular professional dental checkups can help to detect oral diseases in their early stages and provide effective treatments.
- Regular professional dental cleaning at the dentist's offices is a vital part of oral hygiene.
- Oral hygiene practices can prevent bad breath caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Good oral hygiene can help you avoid missing work or school days due to oral health issues.
If you are interested in learning more about our services, call Smyrna Dental Group in Smyrna, TN, at (615) 355-6800 to schedule an appointment with our dentists or request an appointment online.