Sedation dentistry is the best option for people who are anxious and have a phobia from dentist's visits. Dr. Gurley of Smyrna Dental Group in Smyrna, TN, offers his patient's sedation dentistry to ease their visits.
More About Sedation Dentistry
There are several types of sedation dentistry that can help you get years of dental work completed in a single visit.
Types of sedation dentistry include oral sedation, known as conscious sedation dentistry, and inhalation sedation using nitrous oxide.
More About the Types of Sedation
- oral sedation: For minimal sedation, you take a pill, like Halcion, about an hour before the procedure. The pill makes you drowsy but you won't feel a thing during the procedure.
- inhalation sedation: You breathe in nitrous oxide, laughing gas, through a mask placed over your nose to help you relax. The dentist controls the amount of gas you inhale so don't worry about breathing in too much but make sure you have someone to take you home.
How does sedation dentistry work?
- Schedule your first appointment with Dr. Gurley in Smyrna. During this visit, your dentist gathers necessary information, like medical history and allergies. Your dentist will walk you through the plan for the day of the procedure.
- Depending on the type of sedation you use, you will receive the sedative before coming into the office or in the dentist's office right before the procedure. This enables you to stay calm throughout the treatment so you're relaxed.
- You'll want to make sure you have a friend or relative take you home after the procedure because you'll be too groggy and unable to drive yourself home.
- Your follow up visit with your dentist will be brief. He'll make sure the treatment went as planned.
Who should you contact?
If you feel anxious when going to the dentist, sedation dentistry by Smyrna Dental Group is a great solution. Contact Dr. Gurley today at (615) 355-6800 for more information.